Our first child was born in October of 2010. Time is flying by and he is changing so much! This blog is dedicated to documenting all the special moments and milestones we share together as a family.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Make Your Own Organic Baby Food

We started giving solid food to Mr. Bean a couple days after he turned six months.  I wanted to wait as long as possible to avoid possible future food allergies.  We were also waiting to see signs that he was ready for solids.  We were waiting for him to seem interested in the food we were eating. We weren't seeing this, so thought maybe he wasn't ready.  He did, however, seem very interested in anything I was drinking and cried to be at the table with us when we were eating.  I usually eat dinner the Bean in my lap.  I think I should have taken these things as signs he was ready.

At his six month check up, I mentioned Bean was having some constipation issues.  The doctor said to go ahead and start giving him pears, prunes, or peaches to help him.  I plan to only feed Mr. Bean organic food.  It seems like there are so many crazy things happening to the food we eat: added chemicals, pesticides, genetically modified foods... I know I won't be able to completely shield my child from these things, but I hope to avoid feeding him harmful foods as much as possible! (click here to sign a petition against Monsanto!)

Mr. Bean's first bite of solids was organic pears.  He gobbled it down with no problem and really seemed to like it.  I think it was me who was not ready for him to start solids, not him!

I purchased a baby food cook called The Best Homemade Baby Food on the Planet. I like this book because it lists foods to introduce to your baby by month.  It also has a place in the back of the book to check off foods your baby liked or disliked. Last week, using my steamer and food processor, I made two to three weeks worth of baby food.  I bought a couple ice cube trays to freeze individual portions in. I don't think purchasing special baby food makers is necessary.    A dear friend of mine said she is adding some spices to her baby food.  I thought this was an excellent idea to help develop baby's palate and hopefully avoid a picky eater! She suggested Top 100 Baby Purees: 100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby. I need to do a little research on spices that are safe for babies.  I think I have found a web site that will help with that research.

I really enjoyed making food for my little one.  I love knowing I am doing something good for him.  It is a very gratifying feeling. I am looking forward to getting creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment