Our first child was born in October of 2010. Time is flying by and he is changing so much! This blog is dedicated to documenting all the special moments and milestones we share together as a family.

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Cry it Out?

Last night was one of the most challenging we have had with our little beanster.  I think I had two hours of sleep. Poor Bean woke up screaming and was up most of the night.  It must have been the raw onions in the bean dip I made or the strawberries I ate.

Most of the night was spent nursing, rocking, and bouncing on the exercise ball.  Amel had to take over for a little while.  I often get advice saying I need to let Maika "cry it out."  I have decided, at least for the time being, that is not an approach I want to take with my little man.  I know he was crying for a reason last night.  Putting him in his bed in a dark room and leaving him to cry until he is so exhausted he falls asleep just doesn't sound like a good plan.  This phase of his life is so short in the over all picture.  It is a little hard to remember that in the midst of the challenges though.

There are two reasons I don't want to use a cry it out approach: 1). I don't want to damage the trust that is developing between us and our baby 2). I don't want my baby to suffer any physiological distress.

When I hear my baby cry, I can feel my blood pressure rise.  My instinct is to comfort him.  If I use a sleep training method, I have to desensitize myself to his cries.  I really don't want to become insensitive to his cries.  I don't believe, at this age, my child is trying to manipulate me, but cries to communicate a need, even if it is just the need for a snuggle.

At some point, I may have to adjust my stance on this issue, but for the time being, I think I am doing what Mr. Bean's sensitive personality needs.  Of course, there are times when it is just not possible to attend to a crying baby immediately.  There may also be moments when when one needs to put baby down in a safe place and take some sanity time (I have had some of these moments).  Parenting seems to be more of an art than a science.

More information:
Fussy baby
10 Reasons for Not Crying it Out
The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost by Jean Liedloff


No comments:

Post a Comment