Our first child was born in October of 2010. Time is flying by and he is changing so much! This blog is dedicated to documenting all the special moments and milestones we share together as a family.

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Natural Baby Care Products

Lately I have been thinking more about natural products. I have been using natural products on my son, with the exception of using Baby Aquaphor to heal/prevent diaper rash. I tried Burt's Bees diaper rash cream and Bordeaux's Butt Paste All Natural. Both of those products were OK, but did not work well with my baby. I like the tea tree lavender wash from California Baby that I have been using and may try the California Baby diaper rash cream next.

I do not want to use any products on my baby that contain unnatural chemicals that may cause harm such as cancer or infertility. I have done a little research on phthalates, parabens, and petroleum products. The research I have looked at suggests there may be some links with these chemicals and cancer and damage to the endocrine system. Although, I also came across some research that said phthalates were perfectly safe. When it comes to my child, I would rather not take any chances. I want him to be as healthy and happy as possible throughout his life!

A girlfriend of mine mentioned something about dying hair and breastfeeding, which got me thinking about products I use on myself that may be getting into my bloodstream and breast milk. If I am using natural products on my baby, maybe I should be using them for myself and making sure my husband is also healthy and using natural products. I am not so sure that I will go without dying my hair, or not wearing make up, but I think I will start phasing out the soap and lotions that contain these products. I don't want to waste the products we have spent money on, but when we run out I will look for organic/natural products. this website looks like it may be helpful in finding natural, chemical free products: safemama.

No comments:

Post a Comment